On this page:
- General Information
- Description of Program
- Volunteer Information
- About Our Guests
- Shelter Wish List!
- News From the Shelter
- Days of Operation: Sunday–Saturday
- Hours of Operation: 8:00pm—6:00am
- Volunteer Hours: Primetime Shift: 8:00—11:00pm & Overnight Shift: 10:00pm—6:00am
- Volunteer Contact: Jim, xmShelter@gmail.com (NOTE: NEW email address!)
- Admittance Policy:
- Xavier is NOT a walk-in shelter.
- All guests must be referred from the Olivieri Drop-In Center
Olivieri Drop-In Center
257 West 30th St. (b/w 7th & 8th Aves.)
The Hurtado Shelter provides a friendly, safe space for up to 18 men or women, seven nights a week. The shelter is a member of the Emergency Shelter Network of Congregations and Community Organizations (ESN) and runs in partnership with the Department of Homeless Services and the Olivieri Drop-In Center. Volunteers are needed for primetime and overnight shifts!
Please download our Shelter Volunteer Brochure for more information!
Volunteering is easy! There are two shifts to choose from:
Primetime shift, 8:00pm—11:00pm: This person opens and prepares the shelter, welcomes the guests, helps to provide the meal items, socializes with guests and sees all guests off to bed, then leaves at lights out.
- Overnight shift, 10:00pm—6:00am: This person arrives at some point during the primetime shift to assist the primetime volunteer, then remains at the shelter overnight, wakes guest in the morning, sets out breakfast and oversees departure.
- All volunteers assist in making sure the shelter is neat and orderly, including helping to re-stock food and supplies and doing a final pass-thru in the morning to check for cleanliness
- Overnight volunteers ideally work in pairs—couples are welcome to volunteer together
- All new volunteers are paired with an experienced volunteer—no new volunteers are expected to volunteer alone!
- Wear comfortable clothing to sleep in
- Volunteers are not required to stay awake during the night; a cot and clean linens are provided for each overnight volunteer.
About Our Guests
- Up to 18 (in the summer) and 15 (in the winter) men or women are our guests each night. They arrive by bus from the Olivieri Drop-In Center to sleep in a safe and restful environment
- Guests are carefully screened for health and behavioral problems and cleanliness, and are over the age of 18. They are not sent if severely lacking personal hygiene or if they are under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- The shelter will be all men or all women on any given night but is most often men
Shelter Wish List
There are some items that we are in need of to make our brownstone space feel more homey for our guests. If you have any of the following items that you wish to donate, CALL CASSANDRA at 212-627-2100, x208, (please do not just drop off items to the church!)
- Dinner! If you’re interested in cooking for our guests, please call Cassandra.
- Videos and DVDs
News From The Shelter
As the next step of our incorporation process, Xavier Mission has new contact information for our staff and volunteer coordinators. Please click here for updated email addresses.